Matter and Atoms 9/2/17

Image result for matter and atoms
Link

Summary

This week in science we learned about matter and atoms through various activities like taking notes, a gizmo, and completing a doc. I learned that most of the weight of an atom is in the nucleus. What makes up the nucleus is neutrons and protons and the electrons are left on the outside. Also that in the space between the electrons and the nucleus their is absolutely nothing there to fill that space. I also learned what density is, it is how close an objects atoms are together and how much stuff we have in a given space. Or as most people put it mass divided by volume equals density. llAnother thing I learned was a good definition for molecules, compounds and elements. A molecule is when 2 or more atoms are chemically bonded, a compound is when two different atoms are chemically bonded, and an element is when one pure atom makes up a substance. Also that all compounds are molecules but not all molecules are compounds.

S&EP 4-Analyzing and Interpreting Data

I analyzed data and interpreted data through the triple beam balance gizmo. I had to find data like which objects were over 300 grams and how much each object weighs and had to put it into a table. I got the data through using the triple beam balance. The data really helped me understand how data can be found through experiments because before this I had never done an experiment where I had to do it all by myself with no help.

XCC- Systems and System Models


The system and system models I used were the triple beam balance gizmo. The parts of the triple beam balance are the measurement tray, the 1 gram rider, the 10 gram rider, the 100 gram rider, and the pointer. The parts of the system work together by if one rider can't find the weight of the object then you use another rider and maybe even another rider to help balance out the pointer. After that they work together because when the object is balanced you then have to add up where each rider is to find the weight of the object. The limitations to this system is that the max weight the triple beam balance can find is 610 grams. The function of the system could be better by maybe having something electronically tell you if the object is balanced instead of having to use a magnifying glass.

Multiplier

This week I was a learner because I didn't at first know how to do the chemlink assignment or how to use the mass and volume gizmos. But that didn't stop me because I really wanted to learn so I asked my friends and Mrs. Garcia for help when I needed asking things like,"how does this work" or "where can I find this." I consistently asked questions so I could learn to the best of my ability.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sulfur Cycle 1/20/18

Plate Tectonics 3/10/18

Analog Vs. Digital debate - WAC 3 Argument | Nicolas Reed-8th Grade Science