Relationships Between Organisms 2/2/18


Summary:

       This week in science we learned about different types of relationships between organisms. I now know that their are 5 different types of relationships between organisms. Those 5 different types of relations between organisms are predation or prey and predation, competition, and symbiosis relationships that consist of mutualism, commensalism, and parasitism.  Predation is when one organism consumes all or part of another organism. Predation is a win-lose relationship because organism consumes and the other organism gets hurt or gets consumes. Competition is a relationship where organisms compete for resources such as food, light, water, shelter, mates, etc. Competition is also a win-lose situation. The last type of relationship between organisms is a symbiosis relationship. A symbiosis relationship between organisms of a different species. There are three different types of symbiotic relationships, they are mutualism, commensalism, parasitism. Mutualism is when both organisms benefit from a relationship that is considered mutualism. For example, ants benefit from the trees nectar, and the tree benefits from the ants predation. The tree benefits from the ants protection. Commensalism is when one species benefits and the other species is not harmed or benefited. It is a win-meh relationship. For example, an orchid benefits from the habitat in the tree and the tree is not affected at all though in this relationship. Parasitism is when one species benefits and the other species is harmed. It is a win-lose relationship. One example of parasitism is a tick and and a dog. The tick benefits from the food (blood in the dog and the dog is harmed by the tick taking its blood.   

S&EP 2-Developing and Using Models:

       This week in science I used models to explain how ecosystems work through creating a model representing energy flow in ecosystems. I also used models to show how ecosystems can be affected by the population of certain organisms by the increment or decrement of their populations. The model I created was a pyramid titled the Energy Pyramid. It showed how energy is transferred throughout organisms. The other model I created showed what I was changing and each of the organisms (except for the one I was changing) as the headers/titles for the columns and rows. My model showed my predictions for how each organism would be affected (decrease or increase) and what actually happened or the result.
Link     
     
XCC-Systems and System Models:

       This week in science the system I identified is the system of the transfer of energy in ecosystems. This system consists of producers (autotrophs), primary consumers (2nd trophic level), secondary consumers (3rd trophic level), tertiary (3rd) consumers, and decomposers. These parts of the system work with each other through each part passing down energy for the next organism to use it and also pass it down to the next organism. These parts work with each other to allow energy for other organisms. The limitations of this system is how much energy can be passed down. This is because not all of the energy that an organism had just received will be passed down to the next organism. Some of that energy will be used for breathing, gathering food, and simply just being alive. This is a limitation because if this wasn't the case, all the organisms would be getting the same amount of energy.

Multiplier-Creator:


       This week in science I was a Creator. This is because I was consistently trying to contribute the knowledge I found out through doing the activities. I was consistently explaining to my table knowledge I had gained through the experiments and I was consistently trying to help my table as well. The knowledge I was sharing was very explanatory and had to do with all activities we were doing. Most of the knowledge I was expressing were my predictions and my results. I feel that the knowledge I expressed and told to my group/table was very important and really helped me and my group to understand the topic better.
     






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sulfur Cycle 1/20/18

Plate Tectonics 3/10/18

Analog Vs. Digital debate - WAC 3 Argument | Nicolas Reed-8th Grade Science