Charity Fair Project Blog | 12/20/18



Summary:


       What we had to do for this project is find and research a certain charity that you are passionate about (we chose the AFSP, or the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention. Then, as a group, create a website/video for that charity and an ignite presentation (as shown above). On top of this, we also created products (we created Luminary Lanterns) that we sold to raise money, while also creating an instructable for it, a cost and profit document, and carbon footprint map. Lastly, we created a Trifold displaying most of what we completed during the span of the entire project. One thing I learned through creating this project was how collaging certain colors can create an attractive product and how to do just that. I also learned how to create an attractive website through using both powerful words, while also using powerful images and graphics. In addition, I learned that this same idea applies with ignites. That in order to have a high-class ignite you must use powerful images and words. Another thing that I learned was that suicide is the tenth leading cause of death in the US. As for 5-24 year olds, suicide is the second leading cause of death.

Backward-Looking:

       What I knew about the subject before we started was certain global issues, certain charities, and how to create each individual part of the project in a very good quality way. For example, some global issues are hunger, poverty, equality, animal abuse, and more. Some charities that combat these issues are Kids Against Hunger, Save the Children, Women Employed, and WWF. Lastly, the reason that I know how to create each part of the project so well is due to how I have done similar work in the past. I did this same project in 5th, 6th, and 7th grade. I have gotten better at this kind of work by overtime, understanding what people seem to react the best to. For example, with the ignite presentations, people seem to react the best to not just displaying the charity on the first slide, but waiting until the 2nd or 3rd slide to say the charity.

Inward-Looking:

       I feel pretty good about this piece of work. This is due to how all parts of it are very neat and attractive. The parts of the project that I really like are the PSA and the ignite. This is due to how they are both very powerful and pretty in terms of the images and words we used. The part of the project that I dislike are the products. This is due to how on some of them we rushed or were a bit careless. This led to some being better than others, when all should have been just about equally good. What I enjoyed about this piece was the trifold. This is due to how for the first time in my life, I have actually created a nice looking trifold that was not so plain. This is because usually, my trifolds have the background color and just pieces of paper stuck onto it. Although now, it was more colorful and arranged much better due to how I planned it better and put colored paper behind the printed paper.

Outward-Looking:

       If I were the teacher the comments I would make about this piece are that we used strong images, words, and facts. This is due to how both our ignite and PSA did just that. The grade I would give this project as a whole is an A- to an A. This is due to how we followed the rubric and completed each part of the project at a pretty high level. The reason it is not a definite A and instead an A- is because on some parts of the project we did not perform as well. For example, during our presentation for the ignite we did not do amazing and our carbon footprint wasn't the best either. One thing that I would particularly want people to notice when they look at our work is our ignite and PSA. This is due to how I feel that they are the highlights and best part of our project.

Forward-Looking:

       One thing that I would like to improve upon is my teamwork skills. This is because I am known to be bossy and get mad at my teammates. Those exact two things happened with this project and I would like to get better at trying to stay away from doing those things. What I would change if I had the chance to do this piece over again are the products. This is due to how, as mentioned above, some of the products were better than others. Some were really good, some were alright, and some were pretty bad. I would like to change that and make all of them either alright or really good (preferably really good though). One goal I would like to set for myself next time is to not be so bossy and rude to my teammates. This is because I feel that I really struggled with that during this project. In addition, I would also like to try and use less help from my parents, or just no help at all. This is because my parents tend to help me with the creative parts of the projects. So for this project they helped to create the products that I made. So next time, I want to try and make all the products that I have to create on my own.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sulfur Cycle 1/20/18

Plate Tectonics 3/10/18

Analog Vs. Digital debate - WAC 3 Argument | Nicolas Reed-8th Grade Science