Carbon Footprint | 11/26/18-11/30/18

The Carbon Footprint of Our Charity Fair Product, Luminary Lanterns



Summary:

       Carbon footprint is the amount of carbon dioxide and other carbon compounds emitted due to the consumption of fossil fuels by a particular material. For example, a product that I created, a Luminary Lantern has a carbon footprint of 10411.625g of CO2/kg. I know this due to how I researched and tracked the amount of miles each of the individual materials (that are used to create a Luminary Lantern) traveled. I then multiplied the amount of miles by a certain number regarding the type of transportation each material took. If a product traveled by train, I multiplied the amount of miles it traveled by 0.1g of CO2/kg. If a product traveled by airplane, I multiplied the amount of miles it traveled by 0.8g of CO2/kg. If a product traveled by truck, I multiplied the amount of miles it traveled by 0.17g of CO2/kg. Lastly, if a product traveled by car, I multiplied the amount of miles it traveled by 0.41g of CO2/kg. After completing all of the calculations for each individual material (mason jar, tissue paper, and battery candle), I came to the conclusion that the mason jar transportation emitted 4894.215g of CO2/kg, the tissue paper transportation emitted 424.425g of CO2/k, and the battery candle transportation emitted 5094.215g of CO2/kg. After adding all of these numbers up you are left with 10411.625g of CO2/kg. Meaning that the carbon footprint of a Luminary Lantern is equal to 10411.625g of CO2/kg.

S&EP 2-Developing and Using Models:

       This week in science I developed and used models when I constructed technological models of the carbon footprint of a Luminary Lantern. The first type of model I created was a simple table that really helped me to understand the amount of grams of CO2/kg each material emitted. I then used the information I gathered to create a map of the carbon footprint of a Luminary Lantern (the map is shown above). This map really helps me to visualize the transportation of each material. Thus, allowing me to get the full picture of how I got to the number, 10411.625g of CO2/kg. This map truly displays many different things with both images/pictures and numbers.

XCC-Energy and Matter:

       The system I identified this week that heavily involves energy and matter is the modes of transportation used to transport materials/products. This includes cars, trains, airplanes, trucks, and ships. Energy is involved in this system due to how it takes the energy of humans to be able to create these modes of transportation. In addition, it also takes the energy of humans to direct them. For example, the driver of a car or truck, the captain of a ship, or the pilot of a plane. Matter is involved in this system due to how these methods of transportation are made of special types of matter. These special types of matter are designed to make the car as functional as possible. This can mean as energy efficient as possible, as safe as possible, as fast as possible, and much more. This is how and why energy and matter are involved in the methods of transportation for products system.















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sulfur Cycle 1/20/18

Plate Tectonics 3/10/18

Analog Vs. Digital debate - WAC 3 Argument | Nicolas Reed-8th Grade Science