Start to the Biodiversity Project & The Giant Ibis 2/9/17

Summary:

       This week in science we started the biodiversity project, the endangered my group chose to create a presentation for a recovery plan for that endangered animal is the giant ibis. What I know about the giant ibis are things that a zoologist would know about the giant ibis. One thing I know about the giant ibis is its scientific name, the giant ibis' scientific name is Thaumatibis gigantea. I also know the basic anatomy of the giant ibis, the giant ibis is tends to be around 39 in (100 cm) long and 9.3 lb (4.2 kg) when full grown. Full grown also tend to have an “overall greyish-brown plumage with a naked, greyish head and upper neck.” They have dark bands across the back of their head and shoulder area. Also, the pale silvery-grey wingtips of the giant ibis have black crossbars. Another thing I know about the giant ibis is that the giant ibis has an extremely low population that is under 200. In result of their small population many things are yet to be known about them, especially when it comes to breeding. I also know why the giant ibis' population is so low, the reason the giant ibis' population is so low is a result of forest loss. This forest loss is driven primarily by clearing of land by humans. Humans are during this in order to “develop industrial scale agriculture, small scale agricultural encroachment and infrastructure developments.  It is now extinct in Vietnam and Thailand, and nearly so in Laos. Its survival depends on its conservation in Cambodia.” Although, the giant ibis also has positive reactions with humans. One positive interaction the giant ibis has with humans are the conservation efforts of humans for the Giant Ibis. These efforts include protecting nests by the installation of metal belts that prevent predators from accessing their nests. Increasing ecotourism in the region and education to local people has also been occurring for the species to successfully recover from the brink of extinction. Their population growth and the Giant Ibis overcoming extinction is optimistic.
Link

S&EP 6-Constructing Explanations and Designing Solutions:

       I constructed an explanation of why the giant ibis' population is very low and why the giant ibis is a wading bird when I was researching about the giant ibis. The reason the giant ibis' population is so low is do to their habitat being destroyed due to to human developments such as encroachment and infrastructure. The reason the giant ibis is a wading bird is due to the fact that part of the giant ibis' diet is aquatic species such as invertebrates eels, crustaceans and small amphibians and reptiles. These explanations will be very helpful in creating our presentation on our recovery plan for the giant ibis.
     
XCC-Patterns:

       The pattern I identified through my research of the giant ibis is that one main way a lot of species tend to become endangered from are from human development. This pattern has to do with humans wanting to have more space to create infrastructure and buildings but finding known in cities and places with human habitation. So their only choice is to use forests and other ecosystems that are home to many animals and species habitats. In result of their greed animals suffer and certain species start to die off and become endangered. A prime example is the giant ibis, the main reason of the giant ibis' decline in its population is because of forest loss (the forest is their habitat) from human development.
     
Multiplier-Learner:

       This week in science I was a learner, I was a learner because I was researching a new topic known as the giant ibis. I knew that I had to learn all the information I possibly could on the giant ibis to make sure that my groups project is the best it possibly could be. So I really just kept telling myself and my group that, "I want to know," that I wanted to know many different things about the giant ibis. I consistently just wanted to know things so that I could have the best possible research that I always strive to have whenever I research things. I was consistently researching and just wanting to know and learn things about the giant ibis this week in science. This is why this week in science I was a learner.


     


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sulfur Cycle 1/20/18

Plate Tectonics 3/10/18

Analog Vs. Digital debate - WAC 3 Argument | Nicolas Reed-8th Grade Science