Researching for WAC-Is Ecotourism Helping or Hurting our National Parks? 12/10/7


Summary:

Birdwatching
Link
     This week in science we learned about ecotourism in national parks, and because of this, I now know a lot of things about national parks because of what I learned based on my research. What I now know about ecotourism in national parks is things about why Ecotourism is helping and hurting our national parks. Ecotourism is helping our national parks by preserving and protecting lots of wildlife (land and animals) while still allowing many, many people. Also by ecotourism providing income and promoting national conservation. One last reason ecotourism helps our national parks is by boosting our economy and providing many new jobs for people (more than 200,000 jobs are created because of ecotourism). One way ecotourism hurts our national parks is by sometimes not keeping the wildlife, well, "wild" and by getting the animals close to humans and not allowing the animals to be in their regular, "wild" state. Another way ecotourism hurts our national parks is by national parks saying that the money gained by people paying will be used to conserve. But, when you actually look around and take a look, it really doesn't look like they are doing so. One last reason ecotourism is hurting our national parks is by the fact that ecotourism, in some cases, can be very dangerous for us, the wildlife, and the habitat. So what I now know because of what I learned during this week is how ecotourism is helping and hurting our national parks.

S&EP 6-Constructing Explanations & Designing Solutions:

     I constructed an explanation of why and how ecotourism is hurting our national parks when I was researching to figure out if ecotourism was helping our hurting our national parks. I had much more evidence of how ecotourism was hurting our national than the amount of information I had for why ecotourism was helping our national parks. So I constructed an explanation that consisted of my thesis on where I stand for if ecotourism is hurting or helping our national parks and 3 reasons why ecotourism is hurting our national parks. My explanation has lots of evidence behind it aswell, and this is why I believe my explanation is very good and well done. This is how this week my science and engineering practice was constructing explanations and designing solutions.

XCC-Cause & Effect:

     The cause and effect relationship I observed this week was from the article written by the Washington Post titled Is ecotourism an oxymoron? A new study suggests these ‘green’ vacations might hurt wildlife. The cause and effect I recognized was between how much money Kona, Hawaii made off of ecotourism with Manta Rays and why Kona, Hawaii isn't fulfilling what they said they would do, which is protecting/preserving the Manta Ray species. The cause is the fact that ecotourism with Manta Rays brings in about 3.4 million dollars annually. The effect of this behind the scenes drama which is greed and selfish operating practices. Well these selfish operating practices lead to ecotourism with Manta Rays in Kona, Hawaii to not do their job and preserve these amazing creatures (Manta Rays).

Multiplier-Wanderer:

     This week I was wanderer because I was constantly trying to find and share information I found that could really help me in writing my WAC. A lot of the times, when I found very important information I would tell my tablemate and I would quickly put it in my research doc. I was always wandering for information, trying to find any information that could help me to create a great essay. This is how this week I was a wanderer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sulfur Cycle 1/20/18

Plate Tectonics 3/10/18

Analog Vs. Digital debate - WAC 3 Argument | Nicolas Reed-8th Grade Science