Charity Fair 2017 Project Blog 12/20/17

Summary:

       For the Charity Fair project what we had to do was choose a charity that we would like to raise money for and research. Then create a product in which you will use to raise money, then create a cost and profit document for you product. An additional thing you had to do revolving around your product was find the carbon footprint of your product and show that in an interactive map. For your charity you had to find and create a document about your charities statistics (how much money the charity raised basically) and create an ignite presentation about your charity. What I learned from this project is that in order to really persuade an audience with an ignite, you really have to have very compelling images. Images that mean something and have a story behind each image. You also should sound like what you are saying for your ignite is something that you have never said before, this will help make your presentation feel fresh, unique, and different. Another thing I learned was how much carbon dioxide different vehicles produce each mile. For example, a train produces is 0.1g of COper mile. The last thing I learned how to do was how to create an interactive map and how valuable an interactive map can be to help show and represent information. A map is really good for representing the carbon footprint for a substance, and it is something very valuable to know how to create.

Backward-Looking:

       What I knew about the subject before we started were the basic skills in completing this project due to the fact that I have already done this project before. The basic skills I knew were how to create an ignite, the math needed to figure out the cost and profit of our product, how to show charity statistics, how to create an instructable, and how to create a trifold that represents the project as a whole. To create an ignite you need to create a slide presentation that has very close to no (no words would be prefered) words in all of your slides. Each slide should have one image that is powerful and represents what you are talking about in that slide. Each slide will last for 15 seconds and within those 15 seconds you should be saying something related to the picture. It should be rehearsed and should really tell the story of your chosen charity. The math needed to figure out cost and profit is the 4 basic skills in math (addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division). To show charity statistics you must first find how much of the money your charity raises goes to the cause they are trying to help and how much goes to them. With that information you then have to create a pie graph to represent those percentages. To create an instructable you must first list all materials needed to create your product. You must also list all steps that you completed to create your product and a picture along with it to show each step. Lastly, to create a trifold you must show almost all assignments that you completed for the project (the ones I listed above that I know how to do and your carbon footprint). The reason I knew so much about the project before we even started was because of the fact that I have done something almost identical to this project in 5th grade and 6th grade. The reason it isn't completely identical is because of the fact that this year the project was done a little bit differently. The ways that I have gotten better at this type of work is the fact that I have gotten much better at presenting ignites. I have gotten better at ignites because I have gotten better at the delivery part of the ignite. I don't move around as much which makes me less distracting (which is important) and I have gotten better and speaking calmer and slower (because before I was talking very fast). Delivery was the part of the ignites that I was the worst at, but this project I really improved on my delivery.

Inward-Looking:

       I feel very good about my project. The parts of the project that I like are the map and the charity statistics. I like the map and the charity statistics because they show and represent something in a very pleasurable way. They both convey a bunch of numbers by putting them all into one image. The parts of the project that I dislike is the instructable. I dislike the instructable not because it isn't well done, but because of the fact that it is very long and I feel that it could be a lot shorter if we made it more simple. What I enjoy about this project is the ignite presentation part of the project. I enjoyed the ignite presentation because I feel that the ignite presentation is the most important part of the whole project and I feel that my ignite was unique and done very well. I really enjoyed the ignite mainly because it is a combination of a bunch of different stories to create one bigger story. I enjoy the ignite because every image conveys the main idea of the whole project. To raise money for a worthy charity. Every image really speaks to me and I really enjoy this. The last reason I enjoyed the ignite is because of the fact that I did my best and tried my hardest for this part of the project. This part of the project meant so much to me and the fact that I did very well on it makes me really happy and I really enjoy this. The standards I had for this project were that we (my group) tried our best and got all A's on each of the assignments for the project. We did meet these standards which made me very happy and very proud of this project. What I learned about myself as I worked on this project was that I am actually very good at designing christmas cards. I never thought that I was good at designing things to do with holidays but through the process of working on this project I learned that I actually am pretty good at designing holiday cards.

Outward-Looking:

       If I was a teacher, the comments I would give on this piece is that it is very professional and very well done. I would also mention that all parts of the project are really good but the ignite presentation was probably the best. The grade I would give this piece as a whole is an A. This is due to the fact that as a whole their were no weakest links in the project and everything was really well done. What I mean by this is that their were no bad parts to the project that really stood out. What my classmates particularly noticed about this piece when they look at it is they notice that our products look really nice and are very good. They thought they looked professional and thought that they would sell well. They all noticed that our ignite presentation was very good, that it was intriguing due to the great content in words and in images. The ways we met our standards for this work is in all ways, we got all A's on all of the parts to the project and we evidently gave this project our all. Meaning that in now way did we not meet our standard, and we may have actually exceeded our standards. This is due to the fact that for the ignite we were very close to being one of those top groups that got to present in front of student council so they could choose where all the money raised was going (choosing a charity). If someone were looking at this piece what they might learn about who I am is that I like to have things professional and very pleasing to the eye. I try and make everything I create pleasing and nice to see, and I really feel that I show that in my work. They also might learn that I am very organized and that I always give it my all. Almost every part of my project was very well organized and I feel that that is very noticeable in my work. They might learn that I give it my all because as I mentioned before, our whole project was very well done and that might lead them to believe that I try my very hardest. One thing I want people to see in my work is that it is very well done and great quality. I feel that if others believe that then that means that I completed my goal and that I did very well on the project.

Forward-Looking:

       The goal I would like to set for myself next time is to actually be the best group that presents. What I mean by this is that next time I would would like to be the group in which student council chooses to give the money to my chosen charity. As I mentioned before, this year my group was very close to completing this, but not close enough. So next time I would like to be that best group. I always strive to be the best at everything I do and this is one of those things that I have not been the best at. What I'd like to spend more time on in school is computer, game, and app programing. I'd like to spend more time on these things in school because I feel that these skills could really help me in the future. What I mean by this is that these 3 skills are jobs and maybe I'd like to specialize in one of them some day. Most importantly, I'd like to spend more time on these things in school because they are one of the rare things that are educational and fun. Those are two things I cherish when it comes to school, I love it when I am doing something that is educational, but also fun at the same time. As I look back at this piece one thing I would like to improve upon is our ignite presentation. Our ignite presentation was very good, but I know how we could've made it better so that we may have actually been the best group that presented. What I'd like to improve upon for my ignite is speaking more clearly and having better timing. During the presentation we were talking to loud and to fast, and I feel that if we fixed that then it would've made a huge difference. Also during the presentation, our timing was good, but it could've been better. We were always done talking a second before each slide was over, which is actually pretty good. But that means that we had one second of dead time between each slide, I do not like this at all and that is why I'd like to improve upon it. All and all, I feel that if I were to do this project again the only thing I'd like to improve upon and change is the ignite presentation part of the project.


















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sulfur Cycle 1/20/18

Plate Tectonics 3/10/18

Analog Vs. Digital debate - WAC 3 Argument | Nicolas Reed-8th Grade Science