Start of the Clean It Up Project 11/11/17


Summary:

Image result for phosphoric acid
Link
     This week in science I learned more about chemistry, coke, and mainly about the very dangerous chemical within coke known as phosphoric acid. What I now know about chemistry is that the reactants in a chemical reaction have different chemical properties than the products. I also now know that. I also learned that the best way for you to know if a chemical reaction occurs is when their is a formation of a new substance. What I know about coke is that coke itself may not be super dangerous, but their is chemicals inside of it that are dangerous (phosphoric acid). What I now know about phosphoric acid is that phosphoric acid has a chemical formula of H3PO4. Also that Phosphoric acid’s flammability is 0 and that it can be used for many things such as cleaning products, dairy products, and fertilizers. I also know the dangers of phosphoric acid contact, such as inhalation, skin and eye contact, ingestion, and other possible health effects. For example, health effects for contact are it can burn or blind eyes, burning or cause pain to the skin, also cracking and drying of the skin. I also know how you can help prevent these things from occurring, the 2 things are how you handle phosphoric acid and how you package it. Another thing I know is that phosphoric acid has two main physical properties, it can either be a white crystalline solid or a very thick liquid. Other physical properties of very thick liquid phosphoric acid is that it is colorless and odorless. The last thing I know is the first aid measures if you do actually get in contact. The first aid measures involve helping inhalation, ingestion, and contact with the eyes and skin. For example, first aid measures for if inhalation is to remove the person(s) from the contaminated environment and give them fresh air. You should also remove any contaminated clothing or shoes.

S&EP 1-Asking Questions & Defining Problems:

     I asked questions and defined problems this week by asking questions about phosphoric acid and defining problems about things I yet to know about phosphoric acid. I first defined the problems that were yet to be answered such as what is the chemical formula and the chemical properties for/of phosphoric acid. Also what are things that can occur when getting in contact with it and what are things I can do to prevent them from occurring. Then I actually asked these questions to my friends are asked them on websites so I could actually answer and have less and less problems. By asking these types of questions I got a lot done and these scientific questions were so helpful for my research. By asking these scientific questions I got to work much more diligently.

XCC-Cause and Effect:

     The cause and effect I noticed this week is actually part of my project, it is the news story that was created by my group. The cause part of the story was how the coke fell from the plane and landed onto Highway 69. The effect of this was the creation of our news report and our information on phosphoric acid. This is because of the fact that the coke was spilled, so because of this we should now educate about the story and the dangers of it. The effect was created because of the cause, the story and the information was given, because of the coke spill. This is the cause and effect I identified this week and this is how they relate.  The predictions I can make based on this cause and effect is that now because of the information given, we are probably going to have to find a way to stop the spill. My prediction is that we are probably going to use this information to help us neutralize the spill. We are going to have to find a way to neutralize this pH 1 substance.

Multiplier-Creator:

     This week I was a creator because I was consistently a contributor of knowledge to my group. Anytime I was asked a question or needed to find the answer to a question I would go ahead and find it. I consistently gave needed knowledge to my team members so we could add that information into our project. I would always be the one to answer the questions and the person who was finding the answers to the questions. I was consistently contributing and giving knowledge, this is why I was creator this week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sulfur Cycle 1/20/18

Plate Tectonics 3/10/18

Analog Vs. Digital debate - WAC 3 Argument | Nicolas Reed-8th Grade Science