CHONPS and Building Blocks of Life 10/9/16


      This week in science I learned about CHONPS and building blocks life. CHONPS is an acronym for 6 elements, and those elements are carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen, phosphorus, and sulfur. The most important thing I learned about CHONPS is they are the main elements that make up living organisms that help living things live.  For example CHONPS makes up the building blocks of life and moving on to that subject one thing I learned about the building blocks of life is what they are. The building blocks of life are 4 main molecules that are very important to life and those 4 molecules are carbohydrates, lipids, nucleic acids, and proteins.
Link

    The other things I learned about are important facts about all 4 molecules. One thing I learned about nucleic acids is it is made of CHONP not CHONPS because it is not made of sulfur but it is made of everything else. What I learned about carbohydrates is it's monomer is saccharide. What I learned about lipids is that it's function is it acts as an energy storage for the cell. Lastly proteins, and what I learned about proteins is some examples of it, and some examples of it are milk, meat, quinoa, and meat.


S&EP2-Developing and using models:

     This week I created a foldable of what the building blocks of life are and important facts about them. So what we did was we got a paper and folded and cut it the way we wanted to and made four sections on it and those sections were the 4 molecules that are the building blocks of life. The things we wrote about each molecule were what it is made of, it's monomer, it's function, and some examples of it. For example what I wrote for the lipids section was it is made of CHO, it's monomer is fatty acid, it's function is I provides energy for the cell and makes up most of the cell membrane, and some examples of it is starch, bread, crotons, and table sugar.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sulfur Cycle 1/20/18

Plate Tectonics 3/10/18

Analog Vs. Digital debate - WAC 3 Argument | Nicolas Reed-8th Grade Science