The Different Layers of the Earth 3/4/18


Summary:

Link
       This week in science we learned about the different layers of the Earth. I now know that there are two ways that scientists label the layers of the earth. Those two ways are labeling the Earth's layers by its Compositional Layers and by labeling the Earth's layers by its Physical Layers. What I know about the Compositional layers are that there are three different layers that make up the Compositional Layers. Those three layers are The Crust, The Mantle, and The Inner and Outer Core. What I know about these three different layers are their thickness, what they are made of (composition), and their state of matter. For example, The Mantle is roughly 2900 km thick, it is made up of hot semisolid silicate rocks, iron, nickel, and magnesium, and its state of matter is semisolid. What I know about the Physical Layers of Earth are what the Physical Layers are based off of. The Physical Layers of the Earth are base on how the layer looks or acts. I also know that their are five different physical layers. Those five layers are the Lithosphere ("rock sphere"), the Asthenosphere ("weak sphere"), the Lithosphere ( "middle sphere"), the Inner Core, and the Outer Core. What I know about these layers are their thickness, their composition, what state of matter they are, and which Compositional Layer they match up with. For example, the Lithosphere is 15-300 km thick and is a combination of the Crust and the upper region of the Mantle. Therefore making its composition and state of matter a mix of the two.
     
S&EP 1-Asking Questions and Defining Problems:

       This week in science I asked questions about the different layers of the earth. One of the main questions I asked was, "How do the individual layers of the Compositional and Physical Layers match up?" What I meant about this question was what Compositional Layer matched up to a certain Physical Layer. For example, I mentioned above how the Lithosphere is a combination of the Crust and upper region of the Mantle. Well that is the type of answer I was looking for for my question. This question really helped me understand the topic of the different layers of Earth and really allowed me to visualize the different layers of Earth as well. These two things really allowed me to grasp more knowledge on the subject and allowed me to complete my assignments related to this topic.
   

XCC-Energy and Matter:

       The system I identified this week that is related to energy and matter is the system of the different layers of Earth. Energy and matter are related to this system because without energy and matter, this system would not even exist. This is because each layer is composed of different types of elements, compounds and molecules, and matter. Without matter each layer wouldn't have anything in it. Meaning that without matter, the different layers of Earth would be nonexistent, their wouldn't be such a thing. So the system I identified this week that relates to energy and matter is the system of the different layers of the Earth.
     
Multiplier-Learner:

       This week in science I was a Learner, I was a learner this week due to the fact that I knew next to nothing about the different layers of the Earth. All I knew was a little bit of the basics of the this subject. So in my head I was constantly thinking, "I want to know..." because I knew that I needed to grasp every bit of information possible so that I could be able to truly understand this topic and do well on the assignments about this topic. Wanting to know things really helped me to efficiently do my assignments on this topic very well. Wanting to know things also allowed me to learn a lot of new information that I did not know before. All in all, wanting to know things made me more knowledgeable on the subject of the different layers of the Earth. This is why this week in science I was a learner.
     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sulfur Cycle 1/20/18

Plate Tectonics 3/10/18

Analog Vs. Digital debate - WAC 3 Argument | Nicolas Reed-8th Grade Science